Skylights are special windows installed on the roof of a building. The windows are inset and often triple-paned to withstand the elements of sun, rain, and snow. Their placement on the roof brings natural light from sunshine into any room in your home where the ceiling is directly under the roof.
Perhaps you have a metal roof and were wondering if there are different types of skylights depending on your specific needs. “Fixed” skylights have sealed panes and allow the outside light to pass through. “Open” skylights can be opened from the inside to allow for additional ventilation.
Benefits of Installing Skylights in a Metal Roof
- Adds brightness to your home or commercial property. Installing skylights in your metal roof increases natural light and adds an overall brightness to darker spaces including large warehouses or barns
- Improves your mood. The increased light that skylights provide can help improve mood and reduce the effects of seasonal affective disorder.
- Reduces lighting costs. During the daytime, skylights can help reduce lighting costs because spaces are filled with bright, natural light.
- Reduces heating and electricity costs. Natural light has a warming effect, and the installation of skylights throughout your home can help offset your utilities’ expense.
- Adds viewpoints of the outdoors. Skylights can add visual interest to your space and create portals to unique outdoor views around your home.
- Adds to the overall value of your home or property. Installing a metal roof increases the value of your home, and skylights are an additional unique and appealing selling feature.
What should I watch for?
- Energy loss. Improperly installed skylights can be prone to energy loss because gaps in the seal between the skylight frame and roof either let air from the outside or allow inside air to escape. This can result in increased heating and cooling costs.
- Potential for leaks. Due to their location on the roof, improperly installed skylights can cause rain and snow to leak into a house or commercial building. This can result in increased maintenance and repair costs.
Call Your Metal Roof Experts
For over 75 years, Nielsen Roofing has been a trusted metal roofing specialist for Penticton and throughout the South Okanagan. For either a residential and commercial project, we will come onsite to assess your metal roof and skylight needs and provide a free estimate. Contact us today!